Cheat Sheet, November 28 – December 4, 2011
- Follow 21st Century Boy on Twitter and like us on Facebook. And by subscribing to our newsletter, you can receive our weekly Cheat Sheet in your inbox!
- Picture of the Week: Henry Tang is referred to as “Chief Executive” (of Hong Kong) in The Standard. The CE selection does not happen until 2012. (h/t @rudeshock)
- Now-retired Yao Ming is launching a California winery for the Chinese market. His wine will be simply labeled “Yao Ming.” (CNNGo)
- A photo essay of Chungking Mansions, the iconic Hong Kong building known for its guesthouses, restaurants, and black market goods. (Foreign Policy)
- Hayao Miyazaki’s next film is reportedly “not the sort of work that everyone in the audience can relax and watch.” (Twitch Film)
- The lovely Marjorie Liu talks about her canceled Marvel series X-23, her other writing projects, and Chinese comics. (CBR)
- French actor Jean Reno returns in yet another ad as everyone’s favorite earless robotic cat Doraemon. (ANN)
Gecko of the Week:
The annual design conference invites design leaders from around the world to discuss ongoing trends in the industry. The keynote speakers are luminaries: Functionalist designer Dieter Rams and Japanese architect Shigeru Ban. See the full program schedule here.
Forum Dates: Thursday to Saturday, Dec 1 – Dec 3, 2011, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
26 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
e: firstname.lastname@example.org | w: http://www.bodw.com/
TEDx comes to Hong Kong once again, featuring speakers such as inventor Alex Backer, ESKYIU co-founder Eric Schuldenfrei, and G.O.D. founder Douglas Young. Seats are already sold out, but we hear that the organizers may still be on the lookout for volunteers. They must be willing to stay all day (9am to 8pm). We’re certain that these helpers will get to listen in on what are sure to be exciting talks! For more details, email michael[at]21cb[dot]net with the subject header “TED Volunteer” by Tuesday, 6pm HKT.
Friday, Dec 2, 2011, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
The RISD Hong Kong Alumni Association presents an art show and artists ball. Special guest and RISD President John Maeda will give a speech. Come to the ball dressed as an artist or artwork. We’re going as a de Kooning painting, so be prepared to be offended.
Art Show: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. (7:15 p.m. speech by President Maeda); Artists Ball: 9 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
RISD Art Show
Fringe Club, Roof Garden, 2 Lower Albert Road, Central
RISD HK members HKD$250, Member’s Guests HKD$350 (includes 2 drinks and canapes)
RISD Artist Ball, Hong Kong with DJ Pop Fugitive
Volar, 38-44 D’Aguilar Street, Central
Pay at door HKD$150 (includes 2 drinks)
Dress code: Dress up as an Artist or Artwork
t: +852 2627 7312 | w: http://www.risdhk.org/
Got a story, event, or link you’d like us to check out? Send your tips to us!
FOLLOW 21CB ON:
You'll also like:
from → Cheat Sheet